Today is National Secondhand Wardrobe Day. The idea behind the day is to highlight the economical and ecological benefits of buying previously used clothing and accessories and to increase thrift store donations.
The Hubbard House Thrift Store, located at 6629 Beach Blvd. Jacksonville, FL 32216, is participating in the day with clothing going for only $1, shoes for $3, and all Boutique clothing, purses, shoes, and accessories are half price.
5 Benefits to Buying Secondhand Clothes:
- Buying secondhand clothing cost you less but still helps the economy. According to the U.S. Census Bureau in 2007 used merchandise stores in the United States had annual sales of over $9 billion.
- Secondhand clothes help preserve the environment. When you buy clothing that has already been worn instead of brand new clothing, you are contributing to less waste.
- You can help your favorite charity. One hundred percent of net proceeds of sales from the Hubbard House Thrift Store help fund the life-saving programs and services Hubbard House provides to the more than 6,000 victims of domestic violence it serves annually.
- You can save money. Brand-name items can be found for a portion of the cost.
- You can get a tax deduction for the clothes you donate for charity. That might save you even more money!
When you shop at the Hubbard House Thrift Store you not only receive the general benefits of buying secondhand clothing but also the benefit of knowing that you are helping to save lives and end domestic violence. One hundred percent of net proceeds of sales from the Thrift Store help fund the agency’s programs and services. In addition, Hubbard House clients and their children receive free clothing, furniture, and household items to help them in their transition to a peaceful life.
The Hubbard House Thrift Store hours are Monday – Saturday, 10a.m. – 6p.m. For more information call (904) 400-6333.
If you or someone you know is affected by domestic violence, Hubbard House can help. Please call the Hubbard House domestic violence hotline at (904) 354-3114 or toll-free at (800) 500-1119.
ABOUT HUBBARD HOUSE
Hubbard House is a nationally recognized leader in domestic violence intervention. Founded in 1976, Hubbard House is a certified, comprehensive domestic violence center providing programs and services to more than 5,000 women, children and men annually in Duval and Baker counties. While Hubbard House is most known for its emergency shelter, the agency also provides extensive adult and youth outreach services, school-based education, therapeutic child care, batterers’ intervention programs, court advocacy and volunteer and community education opportunities. Visit www.hubbardhouse.org to learn more.