Studies estimate that every 9 seconds a woman is assaulted or beaten in the United States. For domestic violence victims, the feeling of isolation can be paralyzing. But, change will come if we speak out.
That’s why we are introducing our social media campaign, #YouAreNotAlone: to show support and let victims know that we stand with them. Throughout the month of October, we are partnering with local sister shelters, Quigley House, Betty Griffin’s House, and Micah’s Place. We ask our followers to paint their left ring fingernail purple, share a photo on social media with the hashtags #YouAreNotAlone and #HHJax, and tag us in the photo, so we can share it too. You can follow along with the conversation on our Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram pages. Together, we’ll raise awareness of domestic violence.
What to Say
When someone asks about your one purple nail, it’s your chance to educate them about the issue of domestic violence and the ways Hubbard House is working to end it. Here’s what you can say:
- Domestic violence (DV) is a pattern of power and control that one person exhibits over another, and it isn’t just physical. (It can include manipulation, threats, cyber stalking, and economic coercion.)
- DV is prevalent: 1 in 3 women and 1 in 4 men have been physically abused by an intimate partner.
- This year marks the 40 year anniversary of Hubbard House. They run a 24-Hour Hotline (904-354-3114), an emergency shelter, support groups, and even batterer’s intervention programs to help women and men in the community.
Not sure what to write on social media? We have some sample posts for you. Feel free to copy and paste these posts on your Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram pages, along with your photo!
- Every minute, 24 people experience rape, physical violence, or stalking by an intimate partner. Take the #YouAreNotAlone challenge this month, and help Hubbard House, Inc. [tagged] end domestic violence! Details here: https://hubbardhouse.wordpress.com/ #HHJax
- Help @HubbardHouse end #domesticviolence – take the #YouAreNotAlone challenge: [link] #DVAM #HHJax [photo]
- #DomesticViolence affects 1 in 4 women in the US. This month, I’m helping @Hubbard_House raise awareness by joining the #YouAreNotAlone challenge. Spread the word by sharing a photo of your left fingernail painted purple, and visit @hubbard_house to find out how you can help. #dv #dvam [photo]
Visit www.hubbardhouse.org for more information, and follow Hubbard House on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Thank you so much for partnering with us!